What Is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial intelligence is the building of computer programs that can mimic tasks associated with human intelligence. AI solves problems by using computer programming and large data sets. The field of AI includes machine learning, deep learning, and natural language processing, which allow computers to “learn” from experience and perform human-like tasks, often much more efficiently than humans can.
Why Learn AI?
AI is an exciting field at the forefront of finding solutions to society’s most pressing problems, including disease, pollution, and climate change. It’s also a rapidly growing sector of the economy. If the sudden conversation shift toward artificial intelligence (AI) has shown us anything, it’s that very few people knew how common it already is.
Many still view AI through the lens of the overused science-fiction trope, not realizing that the Alexa on their counter or the Siri in their phone is actually powered by AI technology. Those of us who occupy the tech space have closely followed news of recent advancements in AI and excitedly awaited the year’s expected trends, but many people were seemingly taken by surprise with tools such as ChatGPT being released.
To start with AI as an average person who has no prior knowledge, you can follow these steps:
- Understand the basics of Artificial Intelligence (AI): AI can be defined as the creation of intelligent systems that can perform tasks without explicit instructions. It aims to mimic human intelligence using algorithms and machine learning techniques .
- Learn the different levels of AI: AI can be categorized into three levels:
- Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI): This level refers to AI systems designed for specific tasks, such as virtual assistants like Siri or Alexa. ANI focuses on solving particular problems within a specific domain using machine learning techniques.
- Artificial General Intelligence (AGI): AGI aims to mimic human intelligence and perform tasks that humans can do. Examples include speech and facial recognition systems. AGI is still under heavy research and development.
- Artificial Super Intelligence (ASI): ASI is a hypothetical concept referring to AI systems that surpass human intelligence. It is not yet developed and remains a future possibility.
- Gain foundational knowledge: Start by understanding the basics of programming and computer science. Learning languages like Python and understanding concepts like data structures, algorithms, and statistics will provide a solid foundation for AI .
- Explore online learning resources: There are several online platforms and courses available that cater to beginners in AI. Platforms like Stanford, Springboard, and GitHub provide courses, guides, and certificates to help you learn AI from scratch. These resources offer structured learning paths and cover various AI concepts and applications.
- Choose a specialization: AI is a broad field with various specializations, including machine learning, deep learning, natural language processing, computer vision, and robotics. Explore these areas and identify the ones that interest you the most. This will help you focus your learning efforts and gain expertise in a specific domain.
- Hands-on projects and practice: Practical experience is crucial in AI. Implementing what you learn through projects and real-world applications will enhance your understanding and problem-solving skills. Participate in coding competitions, contribute to open-source projects, and build your own AI models to apply your knowledge.
- Stay updated and engage with the AI community: AI is a rapidly evolving field. Stay updated with the latest advancements, research papers, and industry trends. Join AI communities, attend conferences, and participate in forums to connect with experts and enthusiasts. Collaborating and networking with others in the field will provide valuable insights and opportunities for growth.
Remember, learning AI requires dedication, continuous learning, and hands-on practice. It’s a journey that requires patience and perseverance. With the right resources and a passion for learning, you can start your AI journey as an average person and gradually build your expertise in this exciting field.