Sumner & Scott is recruiting a Data Scientist to work as part of the Product Management team, alongside the Technology & Architecture team within the UK Research & Development department based from either our clients Sheffield or Dunstable office locations.
The key day to day duties are
• Works closely with Product Management teams, Architecture teams and Professional services teams, understanding where data science can add value for customers acting as a key strategic leader in the definition, creation and production of analytic data as a go to market offering for customers.
• Working closely with business representatives to identify issues and use data to propose solutions for effective decision making. Organising and facilitate workshops on Data Science topics with customers highlighting potential opportunities for data use.
• Creating clear reports and data visualisations that tell compelling stories about how customers or clients work with the businesses. Using machine learning tools and a drawing on knowledge of statistical techniques to produce solutions to problems
• Horizon scanning to stay up to date with latest technology, techniques and methods in order to support the ongoing Product Management roadmap in the area of Analytics and Business Intelligence.
• Plan and manage research activity from which you’ll develop prototypes and proof of concepts for demonstrations/show cases to potential customers
• Source, access, manipulate and engineer data processes with data that typically have characteristics of volume, velocity and variety, or both
• Act as an evangelist for the use of Data Science looking to propagate data science skills in other teams, understanding the variety of functional roles relating to data science and how they can be most effectively applied to solve business problems
Flexibility over travel is essential. A key aspect of the role requires collaboration with other areas of the Product Management and Architecture Community, visiting offices across Europe and the Global Development Model. In addition there is an ongoing need to make occasional visits to customer sites in support of Pre-Sales and Professional Services activity.
Candidates should have the following skills & attributes
• The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of delivery on Business Intelligence projects in the capacity as a Data Scientist.
• You will have IT industry experience and be educated to degree level or equivalent of which a minimum of 3-5 years of will be of working with a variety of programming languages, including Python, SAS, R.
• You will be confident in your ability to explore and visualise customers data to present the ‘story’ of their data in a meaningful way, and to a range of technical and non-technical audiences
• You will have experience with various machine learning and modelling techniques and parameters that affect their performance
• You will have the ability to develop experimental and analytic plans for data modelling processes, use of strong baselines, ability to accurately determine cause and effect relations. You will have an understanding of relevant statistical measures such as confidence intervals, significance of error measurements, development and evaluation data sets.
• You will be able to demonstrate a strong track record of diving into data to discover hidden patterns and of conducting error/deviation analysis.
• You will be able to demonstrate an open mindedness and strong intellectual curiosity and will have an interdisciplinary focus, using techniques and knowledge from across the scientific spectrum
• You will be in a position to engage successfully and confidently with customer business users, functional experts, enterprise architects and technical experts.
• You will have strong stakeholder management skills with demonstrable ability to network with Senior and Executive stakeholders developing strong and productive relationships.
• You will possess strong communication skills with ability to deliver clear messages in relation to Data Science to a Business and Technical audience.
• You are continually looking to innovate in and around our product set, plus champion innovation within the wider Research & Development team.
• You are keen to take ownership and resolve issues with a meticulous attention to detail.